Thursday, January 23, 2014

Object-Oriented Programming - Week 4

Object-oriented Programming. What is it? Is it something you eat or throw? Maybe it is something you use in sandwiches. NO. It is one of the most essential programming methods that is learned when you take Computer Programming. You use it to store lists, dictionaries, all sorts of data fields and maybe add a one or two hundred methods into there make your class nice, fancy and productive. Did you know that you can do math using your computer? You can do it in python as well. You can also make it so that 1+1 = "fish", you know the teachers were wrong now you can make it a reality; isn't programming fun.

Personally my experience in this class so far has been pretty enjoyable. I have had almost no trouble with most of the classes discussed in the lectures. Exceptions is not a brand new concept, have used it before in Java, but did not know how to do it in python. Making your own exceptions is a pretty cool thing. Recursion is one of the trickier subjects that I have confused myself with before. It is not hard though.

The way Professor Heap prepares his lectures is very nice he has slides, example classes/programs and discussion. It is a phenomenal teaching approach that I prefer over the video lectures, seems like a better way to go when using the time for these lectures. It also helps when I do not need to watch a whole video on any information I need, it is accessible from the organized notes that have been provided. I have mostly enjoyed the fact that he constantly says programming is about being lazy, which is a joke, reminds me to make it simple from always using a loop to just 1 line of code.

Taking from what I have learned from a friend in this course, it is a good thing to make most methods or classes simple enough to reuse them in future projects. Being able to use something over and over would help me save time and I would know for sure it would be reliable. 

Some people may say this is just an introduction class, but the first step is the most critical of them all. Without this where will you be next year? You would go into a 200 class and know nothing about "Object-oriented Programming" which is very important.


No comments:

Post a Comment